About Me

My photo
Seattle, WA, United States

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Carnaval at Sitges

Last night we went to Sitges to party for Carnaval.  I made sure to pack my backpack full of the essentials:
  • a beverage (because I'm not about to pay 10€ for a well drink)
  • toilet paper (hygiene is not a priority in Spanish bathrooms)
  • camera (to capture the ridiculous)
  • water (duh)
I went over to Dharma's place to get ready.  That included more than an hour of gluing sparkles to my face.  We met some friends at Passeig de Gracia to catch the train to Sitges; it's about an hour outside Barcelona.  There was a moment of unease as we stood on the platform and realized we were the only ones dressed up...people kept taking photos of us...I was a super gay Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle.  Thankfully, after we got on the train, the next stop was full of screaming cavemen, flight attendants, batmen, and other riff raff.  

We had a quick bite to eat at Super Pollo (kind of like an El Pollo Loco without corn tortillas and with booze).  We were treated to dinner and a show when the place was crashed by a gang of screaming chickens.  I ingested an unhealthy amount of glitter.  After Super Pollo we headed to the beach to find more friends.  It was packed.  My costume disintegrated throughout the night from being jostled, squished, and smashed.  There was dancing, drinking, and general merriment in the streets.  Despite it being  connected to the beginning of Lent, the closest thing to religious significance were gangs of slutty nuns and priests.  

Dharma and I headed back during the wee hours of the morning and I was in bed by 5ish.  I woke up again at 10 to make some breakfast and walk my Duke.  Today was the Barcelona Marathon and Duke and I watched it at Pl. Catalunya for awhile trying to see our friend Johann running in it, but no such luck.  I've mostly been in bed all day eating chocolate and watching "Shit My Dad Says".  Good weekend.

Shell malfunction





No comments:

Post a Comment