About Me

My photo
Seattle, WA, United States

Monday, June 28, 2010

Pot and Kettle

The most difficult and expensive part of arranging this entire trip was getting Duke here.  Today I went to the Barcelona Airport.  It took me 8 HOURS to take him home and I missed my first day of class.  The paperwork and the language barrier were not as problematic as I thought.  The most difficult part was the intense lack of organization.  My feet are sore from walking back and forth between 5 different organizations that absolutely do not communicate.  I wanted to take over everything and actually use my MPA degree on that madness.  An extreme silo situation and a Spanish perception of time - I never thought I would crave a good ol' American bureaucracy that operates on hierarchy and efficiency.  Everyone I interacted with was sweet and tried their best to help me, but they didn't use email or telephones and when I the animal importation guy pecking at the keyboard with his pointer fingers, I thought I would squirt blood out of my eyes.  Seriously.

Of course, this really is just culture shock...or maybe it's Blackberry withdrawal.  After I finished fuming about the situation, I got to thinking.  Barcelona has the best transportation infrastructure I've experienced.  There is no schedule because it runs what seems like every 2 minutes.  The stations are all over the city and they are wheelchair accessible.  I can get across town in about 15 minutes or so.  Everything is in English, Spanish, and Catalan.  There are about 5 different ways to get to the airport by mass transit.  There is no bad traffic despite being a  huge metropolis with tons of pedestrians that walk wherever whenever because they have a really effective one-way street system with lots of roundabouts.

I had to check myself and think about what exactly each culture prioritizes in terms of efficient design.  There are days when I've idled in my car on I-5 for a couple hours and only passed a few exits.  I've also cried out of frustration when trying to navigate the streets of Seattle.  Oh yeah, there's also The 91 (you so-cal people know what I'm talking about).  It seems so obvious now that I should have recognized this as a situation where different cultures value different things instead of jumping into a snotty cultural critique.

I always thought I was more culturally aware and flexible than the average American, so I'm going to be gentle on my ego and call this a "learning experience".  Apparently, I need to work on my chillax skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment